Friday 3 June 2011

Review Of The Year


At 2.30am the night before I disconnect from the world I finally, finally get round to writing long overdue blogs (which I am strangely enjoying at this point). Struggling to think of and topics at this late hour with the next 24 hours weighing on my mind I have decided what better way to round of the completion of first year :) by looking back a few of the highlights.

Lets begin with first semester. Who could imagine a better first day than a trip to the beach to “create something that didn’t previously exist” or a shelter to most people as on the day it was pretty horrible weather!

Throw into the deep end in week 2 by Brian Adams I was rudely introduced to the weirder and (perhaps less) wonderful mind of Shigeru Ban who somehow conceived that to build a house with no walls and furniture hidden in cupboards was a good idea.

After struggling through that initial project we were taken to the stunning village of Kenmore and perhaps given the most picturesque site in Scotland to design a house fortunately I had learnt from precedent that walls and furniture were, in Scotland, a good idea, most of the time.

After a relaxing Christmas break we were thrown back into action at Hospitalfield near to Arbroath. In researching this project I came across a quote that for some bizarre reason was to adorn my pin board for a semester, some declaration about the crudity of English rule in Scotland…

After completing Our Hospitalfield project and for a split second thinking the year was over I began to relax, returning home to watch my school play in a rugby match (get beaten). Unfortunately circumstances meant I ended up staying at home a lot longer than anticipated and completing the semester’s work from the comforts of home.

Luckily I was able to return to Dundee to round out the year a few parties here and there nothing to major… and to move out. It was with great relief that finally as a Crazed Royalist and Patriotic Briton that the aforementioned quotation was swiftly removed from my pin board and thrown in the trash.

All in all it has been an absolute blast and I cannot believe that it has all flown by in such a blur, not totally alcohol induced! I look forward to an adventurous summer hopefully I will find some time to charge the batteries and will be back to greet semester 2 with a renewed ambition and motivation and who knows I may even take to this whole blogging thing a little easier next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment